DIY: Polka Dots

    |
Happy Saturday!! It's been so long since my last post. Like weeks, right? Well, that's how long it felt to me. Actually, it's only been 5 days. But isn't that like FOREVER in the blog world? I've been taking pictures but I didn't like the way they turned out so I refused to post them. I just can't seem to get the posing right and I don't think I'm very photogenic. But I'm working on it and when I get it right, "'Unh Unh, you can't tell me nuthin!!" And, that's why I've been hiding.

Today's DIY will showcase the polka dot trend. It is mostly done with fabric or acrylic paint, but it can also be done by cutting circles out of your choice of fabric or with batting. This project can be time consuming depending on which method you choose. But most DIY projects are.


The supplies that I used are acrylic paint, paintbrush, ruler, reinforcements, painter's tape, and a shirt, sweater, sweatshirt, etc. Since I wanted to try this project right away without buying anything, I used a solid gray sweater that I had and hoped for the best.



Step 1: Decide on the design pattern that you want. I decided on a simple design of polka dots straight across. Originally I was going to have 5 rows but I ran out of reinforcements.
Step 2: Use the ruler to measure the area you want the design and place the painter's tape around it.


Step 3: Place the reinforcements in your desired pattern with the sticky side up. You don't want it to get stuck to the shirt once dry like I did.
Step 4: Apply the paint to the paintbrush or place in a bowl and paint over the holes. Make sure to not paint outside of the reinforcements. Apply more painter's tape where necessary to be safe.


Step 5: Let dry overnight.
Step 6: Remove the painter's tape and reinforcements and you're done.

Here's how it turned out.


Only the last row came out neat but I like the messy look of the other two rows. I mean I wasn't throwing it away no how. I appreciate my art and hard work.

Here's how I styled it:







How do you like this trend? Will you try it with jeans or shoes?


Outfit Details:
Sweater - Gap, Denim Shirt - H&M, Jeans - Sway, Shoes - Chinese Laundry, Rings - DIY

No comments

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments!

Mo