DIY: Embellished Sweatshirt

    |

We're back with another DIY collaboration and this month's project is embellished sweatshirts. Mckenzie from Why Buy It DIY It created her sweatshirt using leopard gems and I created mine using studs, buttons and zippers.
Supplies:
gold triangle, square and circle iron on studs
gold cone prong studs
gold buttons
black bling stickers
glue
needle and thread
iron and press cloth
zippers
sewing machine
sweatshirt (thrifted $2)
  • I made the sweatshirt more fitting by taking in the sleeves about 3 inches and the sides about 1 inch. It was originally a men's medium.
  • You can create a design or pattern first or just randomly place the pieces anywhere. It took me two days to come up with a design. I know I have to stop procrastinating.
  • First I applied the iron studs. 
  • Second I applied glue to the stickers and pressed in place. I used Aleene's jewel-it glue. The glue is white but it dries clear. 
  • Next, I pushed the cone studs through the sweatshirt and flattened down the prongs. 
  • Lastly, I used needle and thread to hand sew the buttons in place.
  • For the zippers, I marked and measured where I wanted it to go and stitched each side onto the sweatshirt using a zipper foot. I cut off the excess and applied fray stop to the ends.


 





J Crew, Mango and Forever21 has some nice embellished sweatshirts. Will you be adding one to your wardrobe? 
Don't forget to check out Mckenzie's embellished sweatshirt!!

Outfit Details:
 jeans JBrand  | boots Dolce Vita 

36 comments

  1. you looks great,
    i love the blue genes,

    Celebrity Leather Jackets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the zip details you added.


    xoxo
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The zippers are my favorite part of the sweatshirt! I bet this was SO much cheaper than buying one that was already embellished.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Scarf Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks it's my favorite part. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine too and way cheaper. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, creative DIY! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your DIY embelishment are so beautiful! I love how you've designed this jumper!!

    Lu,
    http://balgar-ka.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Missy. I'm not sure of the exact length of time because I'm always stopping to eat, watch tv, dance, etc.. I'm going to guess 2 hours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally on trend! Love the zippers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This came out super cute! Hmm you should make me one haha :) The black zippers at the bottom was a very creative idea.

    -Vogue&Heels

    www.vogueandheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha Ha! Thanks Anngelik. You can buy one from me but then you'll think it's cheaper to buy from the store. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always do such a good job with your clothes you should open an Etsy.

    Ali of
    www.dressingken.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your embellished sweatshirt. It looks amazing on you.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the sweatshirts. Wish I was good a DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the sweats. I wish I had more time to do more diy projects

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now this here... I can do!!!! Lol!!!! Cute...

    ReplyDelete
  17. The black zipper details are my favourite part! Lookin great Mo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol! I see....Great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay! Let me see yours when you're done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I had more time too. I'll probably do more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, this is pretty amazing! Great job! Love all the details - subtle but keeps it interesting! And I love it paired with the distressed jeans and those booties!
    -Carylee
    morepom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love everything about this...you are so dang crafty!
    Debbie
    www.fashionfairydust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cool! My favorite part is the zipper detail.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks! Mine as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome! I especially love how you added the zippers!
    Tiffany
    www.stylestealsandstilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a great way to give life to a plain shirt. i love love love the zippers!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments!

Mo