DIY: Another Striped Pencil Skirt

    |
Striped pencil skirt day and night {who is that girl mo?}
I decided to make yet another pencil skirt but with vertical stripes this time. I used a black and white stretch fabric with wide stripes. This is the 4th pencil skirt that I have made and I love how versatile it is so here's a day to night look on how I'd style this skirt.
Supplies:
fabric
elastic
measuring tape
chalk/marking pen
scissors
pins
sewing machine
  • Measure the smallest part of your waist. Divide by 2 and this will be your waist measurement.
  • Measure the length that you want for the skirt beginning at the smallest part of your waist.
  • Fold the fabric in half lengthwise.
  • Mark the waist and length measurements on the fabric with the chalk. I marked 14 in and 30 in respectively.
  • Use a ruler to draw straight lines and cut along lines. You should have the exact fitting of your skirt.
  • With the right sides of fabric facing each other, stitch a seam down the long side of the fabric. This will be the back of the skirt.
  • Place the elastic around your waist and pull snugly. Mark and cut. My elastic was about 24 inches.
  • Stitch the raw edges of the elastic together creating your waistband.
  • Pin the elastic around the top edge of the skirt. Make sure it is on the right side of the fabric.
  • Stitch the elastic onto the skirt edge using a Serger or zigzag stitch.
  • Fold the elastic towards the wrong side twice. Tack the elastic into place or stitch around the bottom edge of the elastic.
  • Hem the bottom of the skirt 1 - 1 1/2 inches.

Striped pencil skirt tutorial pics {who is that girl mo?}

Striped pencil skirt close up pic {who is that girl mo?}

Striped pencil skirt pose1 {who is that girl mo?}

Striped pencil skirt pose2 {who is that girl mo?}

Striped pencil skirt pose3 {who is that girl mo?}

Striped pencil skirt pose4 {who is that girl mo?}

Outfit Details:
top Old Navy | denim jacket Gap | faux leather jacket Forever21 | sneakers Converse 
 boots Dolce Vita | day bag Steve Madden | night bag H&M | necklace Forever21


Linking up with:  MONDAY BLOOM | FUNDAY MONDAY | MONDAY MINGLE | WHITNEY NIC JAMES 
 MIX IT MONDAYS | DO TELL TUESDAYS | THE STYLE RECORD | MORE PIECES OF ME | ON THE DAILY EXPRESS | Trend Spin

42 comments

  1. I'm really digging this look. The background is gorgeous.

    xoxo
    Ivy
    Fashion: http://www.purrpleivy.com/
    Health and Fitness: http://purrple-ivy-fitness.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love how it turned out, and both outfits are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you styled the skirt for both day and night! I think this skirt will become a wardrobe staple!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Jewelry Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute...I like both looks! They both remind me of rock star looks 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, now this is a style I can definitely pull off!! I have the pencil skirts already and the jean jacket! This is a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute skirt...love it with the ankle boots!

    Annie

    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks and I can't wait to see your look. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute skirt, another winner! Love it with the sneakers!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Robin! I prefer that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the vertical striped pencil skirt with the black faux leather jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful skirt. I love how you can dress it up or down. Thanks for the tutorial and for linking up with Funday Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the length of this skirt! Both looks are fabulous =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, you put my sewing skills to shame, that's for sure! Great DIY skirt, and I love bot of your styling options for it! Thanks for linking up with Manic Monday. :) -Gina

    On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
  14. That skirt is insane! Oh my gosh I frigging love it!


    www.theadoredlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. LoveeEE!!! Can't pick which one I like the best because both looks are GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really perfect!!! Love how you dressed it down then up! Amazing! So glad you linked up with us! morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love stripes and u did justice on this skirt. I love both looks, but gotta say you look hot in the 2nd look with the clutch, necklace, etc. etc.


    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. great skirt!

    very nice blog by the way :)

    kisses from Russia,
    Juliet
    www.julietpolilova.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cool! Love how you show it dressed down & dressed up! You're so talented!

    -Chelsey

    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. it looks good. love the versatility of it. looks great both ways!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! Both versions are GREAT - my fave is the look with the moto jacket. Werk!


    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this skirt!! You are super talented!!!


    www.iwouldsorockthis.com

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments!

Mo