I know my DIYs are usually on Mondays but this week's Style Me Friday inspiration was something leopard and well, I have nothing leopard, not even a leopard belt, nope. So I had to make something. Fortunately, I had some sheer leopard fabric on hand that I bought a few weeks ago when I attended a sewing conference. I did not have a pattern for a tank so I cut apart a tank that I no longer wore and used the pieces as my pattern. I will also make one in black satin. Since I've done two DIYs this week, there may not be one on Monday. We'll see. :-)
chalk/marking pen (optional)
sewing machine :-)
Cut apart the old tank at the seams. This will be your pattern.
Make sure the fabric is pre-treated and ironed.
Fold the fabric length wise and pin down the pattern pieces. Make sure to account for seam allowances.
Mark around the pieces with the chalk and then cut or you can just cut the pieces out.
Fold the fabric down about 1/2 - 5/8 inch around the neck and arm hole areas. Iron flat. Sew the hems.
Sew a seam across the shoulder straps. make sure right sides of fabric are facing each other.
Sew a seam down each side of the shirt.
Hem the bottom of the shirt about 1/2 - 5/8 inch.
So I had a major fail with this project. In trying to make sure I had enough seam allowance, I ended up cutting the neck and arm holes too big. I had to re-cut and add darts to the front of the shirt. (I didn't realize I put them directly over my boob area but you can't tell that much.) Even though I knew this wouldn't turn out how I wanted it to, I still finished it. I always finish my projects good or bad. Hopefully the black tank will turn out a little more professional looking. It's hard to tell but I know...