DIY: Pencil Skirt

    |
Today's DIY will showcase a pencil skirt. I was inspired by Mimi G. from LA. Check out her blog here. She has mad sewing skills. I want to be like her when I grow up.


To see Mimi's step by step instructions, watch the video here.

The  supplies I used were a sewing machine, scissors, measuring tape, marking pen/chalk, pins, 1 yard of medium weight stretchy fabric, 1 inch wide elastic and matching thread.

Here is my version of the step by step instructions:

1. You will need to use the measuring tape and take your measurements.

2. Measure the smallest part of your waist and divide in half. Mine is 17.5".

3. Measure from the top of your waist to where you want your skirt to end. Add 1.5" for seam allowance. I wanted my skirt to stop right below the knee. Mine measured 31". (You may need someone to help you with this step. My son helped me.)

4. Mark the measurements on your fabric using the side with the fold with the marking pen or chalk. You can also use a ruler for this step.

5. Once fabric is marked, cut out the desired fit.

6. Sew down the fabric with the wrong side up using a straight stitch.

7. Now you want to get the right fit for your elastic. Wrap the elastic around your waist and pull until it's a little snug. Cut the elastic. Sew the ends of elastic together using zig-zag stitch. Your elastic should now look like a fastened belt or a small hula hoop. (Something circular with a hole.)

8. Pin the elastic on the right side of the skirt waist. Sew the top edge of the elastic to the top edge of the skirt waist using a zig-zag stitch. If you have a serger, you can use it for this step but serge without the blade.

9. Fold the top down and sew down the other edge of the elastic using a straight stitch. (I think I was supposed to fold down twice, whatever.)

10. Hem the skirt about 1" - 1.5".
And you're done! 
11. Try on the skirt to make sure it fits like you want. Make any necessary adjustments if needed.

Here's how my skirt turned out. I'm working on finding a better camera, until then...

(Inside of skirt)

(Outside of skirt)

Here's how I styled it for a red carpet event with Mel:







How do you feel about the pencil skirt? Will you sew your own? What will you wear yours with?
Let me know!


Outfit Details:
Shirt - Target, Skirt - DIY, Tights -Target, Booties - Nine West, Belt - Target, Bag - H&M, Rings and Chain - DIY

No comments

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments!

Mo